University of York, United Kingdom
BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics, Linguistics
2008 – 2011
Graduated with Second Class Honours: Division One
Brunei York Society (Vice-President), Linguistics Society, Fiesta Food Fest, Cultural Night,
Shrewsbury School, United Kingdom
Mathematics (A), English Literature (A), Chemistry (A), AS Physics (A)
2006 – 2009
- Inter-house Football
- Inter-house Model United Nations
- House Basketball (2nd place)
- House singing (2nd place in 2007, 3rd place in 2008)
Activities and Societies: Sydney Carton Society, House Football, House Basketball, House Model United Nations
Maktab Sains Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan, Brunei
Biology (B), Physics (A), Chemistry (A), English (A), Malay (B), Computer Science (A), Mathematics (A), Additional Mathematics (B)
2001 – 2006
- Squad leader for March Pass house sports day (gold medal)
- 4x100 relay house sports day (bronze medal)
- INFORAMA quiz (1st place)
- SEAMEO RELC Youth Competition (3rd Place - Best Cooperation)
- Interschool Wordplay
- U-17 Inter-school football
- Inter-house football
- High Distinction in Australian English Competition (University of New South Wales)
- Distinction in Australian Maths Competition (University of New South Wales)
- High Distinction in Australian Chemistry Competition (University of New South Wales)
- Inter-house Nasyid Competition (1st Place)
- design leader for Inter-house environmental sculpture competition (2nd place)
Activities and Societies: Tennis, futsal, INFORAMA, RBAF army cadets, Scouts
Sekolah Menengah Sayyidina Umar Al-Khattab
November 2011 – Present
Education Officer at the English Department
- Teaches English Language (Cambridge O'Level) to Year 9 students
- Teaches English as a Second Language (Cambridge IGCSE) to Year 11 students
- Form teacher for a Year 9 class. Responsibilities include:
* acting as a liaison between students and the school administration
* collecting annual school fees and other fees
* maintaining discipline amongst students
* making sure student records are always up-to-date
* monitoring students' progress and personal development
- Wardrobes department. Responsibilities include:
* selling school fabric and clothes
* receiving shipment of fabric and clothes
* preparing fabric and clothes for sale
- School Year 9 O'Level Coordinator
* coordinating the syllabus and scheme of work used for Year 9 O' Level English teachers.
* coordinating examination papers used in school examinations.
- School Website Editor
* involved in content and design
Conferences and workshops attended:
* BELTA English Language Teaching Conference 2012
* Think Big Innovate: Unplugged Alliance with Digital Learning
* English as a Second Language Cambridge IGCSE Examination Paper Marking Workshop
* Managing and Creating Teaching Resources and Materials
* Corporate Video Production Workshop
August 2011 – Present
Muzikaliti is a website that showcases the best in the Brunei music scene. The focus is on the underground, less covered musicians. We review, interview and preview bands, releases, gigs. Our team is slowly growing and the website is gaining reputation as a hub for local musicians to gain exposure.
January 2012 – Present
B:Read is a non-profit organization which aims to promote the reading culture in Brunei.
We have organised bookswaps, book meets, book sales, and talks. We have also set up free libraries in Blitz Yogurt and Gloria Jeans (Citis Square).
Leeds, United Kingdom
April 2011 – February 2014
Musical Mathematics is Leeds based Music Site/Zine/Collective dedicated to covering new and exciting alternative music.
We review, interview, release compilations, feature bands, produce merchandise and put on gigs.
We work with and look for: Record Labels, PR groups, Promoters, Bands, Writers, Photographers, Graphic Designers and more.
We provide: Album/EP/Single reviews, gig features, band & record label exposure, exclusive song streaming as-well as many other services.
It's Raining Planes & Helicopters
York, United Kingdom
September 2008 – May 2012
A website dedicated to reviewing new, underground music, with genres covering mostly but not at all limited math rock, hardcore, and post-rock, and all their variants.
While bands covered are mostly UK-based, the website have covered American, Indonesian, and Bruneian bands as well as other various countries.
Gig reviews mostly revolve around the Leeds and York area while sometimes covering London.
The blog also features interviews, acoustic sessions and gig videos.
Staff at Human Resources
Royal Brunei Airlines
August 2009 – September 2009
- Prepared template letters for various purposes such as:
* pilot scholarship application offer letter
* pilot scholarship application rejection letter
* financial claims request
- Prepared a comprehensive handbook for the incoming administration officer. This was achieved by:
* shadowing the outgoing officer for two weeks while she performs tasks
* compiling sample forms, application letters and receipts
* detailed checklists and itineraries for various tasks
- Filed complaints and suggestions from the online employee feedback site.
British Council Brunei
August 2008, August 2007
- Welcoming visitors and guests, and entertaining their questions related to the event
- Promoting the visitors' computerised survey and giving instructions on how to complete it
- Helping the booth staff with supplies and labour
Ministry Of Education Brunei
August 2008 – August 2008 (1 month) Brunei Darussalam
Spent one week each in Maktab Sains PSBS and Sekolah Tinggi Perempuan Raja Isteri observing teachers and the inner workings of a secondary school
July 2008 – August 2008
Promoting and selling tickets for the event 'Feast For The Senses' hosted by Chef Wan
- Movember Brunei (Co-Founder)
- Brunei Darussalam AIDS Council (former member)
- Brunei Darussalam Scouts Association (former member)
- Royal Brunei Armed Forces School Army Cadets (former member, promoted to the rank of Corporal)
- Musical Mathematics
- It's Raining Planes & Helicopters
What interesting times,
what time to be alive,
what time to be young,
To be passionate today and angry,
To be disillusioned, trapped, and oppressed,
To be home again yet so unwelcome,
To be who we are here where we are now,
To be among friends and see new enemies,
To live in lies and to be lied to,
To be silenced with threatening phrases,
To be judged by condescending faces,
To push back with fiery desperation,
To be seen as dumb, youthful ignorance,
To feel hopeless yet strong-willed to fight,
To see no end in immediate sight.
What interesting times,
What time to die,
What time to fall.